Dr. Hilda Waqa-Sakiti
Job Title: Lecturer
Courses currently taught: PC 425: Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
Research Interests: Environmental Management, Conservation & Biodiversity, Terrestrial Ecology, Insect Taxonomy & Biogeography and Climate Change
- Waqa-Sakiti, H. Taxonomy, Host Selection, Biogeography and Species Distribution Modelling of the Fijian Long-horned beetles (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae). PhD Thesis, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
- Waqa-Sakiti, H. 2006. Diversity and Distribution of forest canopy coleopteran along an altitudinal gradient on Eastern Viti Levu, Fiji. MSc Thesis, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
Journal Papers, Books & Technical reports:
- Aguilar, G. D., Waqa-Sakiti, H. and Winder L. 2016. GIS for Conservation: Using Predicted Locations and an Ensemble Approach to Address Sparse Data Sets for Species Distribution Modelling: Long-horned Beetles (Cerambycidae) of the Fiji Islands. Unitec ePress. Retrieved from http://www.unitec.ac.nz/epress/.
- Waqa-Sakiti, H., Winder, L. and Lingafelter, S. 2015. Review of the genus Ceresium Newman, 1842 (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in Fiji. ZooKeys, 532: 15- 53.
- Marinov, M. and Waqa-Sakiti, H. 2014. A Fieldguide to the Odonates of Viti Levu, Fiji. USP Press, Suva.
- Waqa-Sakiti, H. 2013. Insects. In: Tuiwawa, M, V., Pene, S. & Tuiwawa, S. H. (eds.) A Rapid Biodiversity Assessment, Socioeconomic Study and Archaeological Survey of the Rewa River Mangroves, Viti Levu, Fiji. IUCN Oceania, Suva, Fiji.
- Waqa- Sakiti H., Stewart A., Cizek L. and Hodge S. 2013. Patterns of three species usage by long-horn beetles (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in Fiji. Pacific Science, 68 (1).
- Waqa-Sakiti, H. 2013. Chapter 5- Insects. In Tuiwawa, M., Pene, S., and Tuiwawa S. (Eds). A rapid biodiversity assessment and archaeological survey of the Fiji REDD+ pilot site, Emalu forest, Viti Levu, pp. 59- 63. Institute of Applied Sciences, USP, Suva.
- Aalbersberg, B., Avosa, M., James, R., Kaluwin, C., Lokani, P., Opu, J., Siwatibau, S., Tuiwawa, M., Waqa-Sakiti, H. and Tordoff. A. 2012. Ecosystem profile: east melanesian islands biodiversity hotspot. University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
- Waqa-Sakiti H. and Winder L. 2012. Diversity and distribution of forest canopy coleopteran on Eastern Viti Levu, Fiji Islands. Pacific Conservation Biology, 18 (3): 177- 185.
- Waqa-Sakiti, H., Liga, A. and Cakacaka, T. 2011. Entomology report of the upper Wainavadu and Waisoi, Namosi Province. Institute of Applied Science, the University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
- Tuiwawa, M., Tuiwawa, S., Koliyavu, T. Waqa-Sakiti, H., and Naikatini, A. and Nakoro, E. 2010. Rapid assessment of the district, Nakasaleka, Fiji Islands – water and nature initiative (WANI) project. Institute of Applied Sciences, the University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
- Waqa, H., and Lingafelter, S. 2009. New Fijian Callidiopini (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae). New Fijian Callidiopini (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae). Bishop Museum Occasional Papers, 106: 3-15.
- Van Gossum, H., Beatty, C., Charlat, S., Waqa, H., Markwell, T., Skevington, J., Tuiwawa, M. and Sherratt, T. 2007. Male rarity and putative sex-role reversal in Fijian damselflies (Odonata). Journal of Tropical Ecology, 23: 591- 598.
- Prasad, S., and Waqa-Sakiti, H. 2007. Butterflies of the Fiji Islands. University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.